Educate a woman and you educate her family.
Educate a girl and you change the future.
When girls are educated and develop a sense of self-worth they will in turn, have a greater chance to succeed in life. The mission of this important girls leadership and empowerment program, Peruvian Promise, is to unlock the potential of young women through the power of education, mentorship, and service to others and enable them to become leaders of their families, communities, and country.
The program is designed to increase the potential for leadership in girls living in rural Peru through increased educational opportunities, the development of their sense of personal empowerment, and their ability to set and carry out short and long-term goals through the development and execution of service projects.
Peruvian Promise will also:
- Work with families to increase family support and communication
- Provide a peer group with support and shared values
- Reinforce and celebrate school engagement and achievement
- Provide professional women mentors for the girls
- Provide the girls with opportunities to take field trips to visit professional women on the job
- Offer the girls opportunities to visit local universities and otherpost-secondary institutes
The girls are selected to be in the program based on the following criteria:
- Ages 15-17
- Great financial need
- Commitment from family to support daughter's entire education
- Academic strength coupled with core values of kindness, compassion, and service to others
Maria's Gift, named in honor of Ana's birthmother, who never learned to read or write, is an educational scholarship fund. It provides full scholarships to Peruvian Promise graduates to continue their education beyond secondary school and attend a local university or vocational institute. Ermelinda is one of sixteen girls in the inaugural Peruvian Promise class. Click here to learn more about her story and dreams!
For more information, visit http://peruvianhearts.org/promise.html
$5 provides a girl with one month of character building and leadership classes taught by local women mentors from different professions.
This project can be visited March through December on most weekdays or weekends. The project is located directly in Cusco and a visit can be arranged by writing to [email protected].
What To Bring
ppropriate girls clothing in excellent condition (ages 15-24), school supplies, chewable multivitamins, and toiletries are always greatly appreciated.
Do you like what this project is doing? Add a comment and share your review with others. Sign In now to review and comment.No reviews yet. Be the first one to review